Tips for Choosing the Right Tax Preparer

Everyone’s tax situation is different. “You need to match the level of complexity of your return with the qualifications of the preparer,” says Sherrill Trovato, president of the National Association of Enrolled Agents. When evaluating potential candidates, know what special circumstances (ie: small business owner, trust fund…) you have on your return and make sure they have expertise with these issues.


The IRS has guidelines in place to help protect consumers from fraudulent preparers. “All paid tax preparers are required to be registered with the IRS,” says Hockenberry. “Ask whether they have a Preparer Tax Identification Number (PTIN).”


The IRS issues PTINs to qualified tax preparers, and only preparers with PTINs can sign a return, according to IRS regulations. If a preparer receives any compensation to complete a return, they must also sign the return. PTINs are issued to enrolled agents (EAs), registered tax return preparers (RTRP), certified public accountants (CPA), and attorneys.


Registered tax return preparers (RTRP)


Each type of preparer has a different level of expertise. RTRPs are required to pass an IRS exam and attend 15 hours of continuing education every year, according to newly-established IRS guidelines. They are able to sign and prepare tax returns and represent clients to the IRS in limited circumstances, such as for an audit but not for an appeal. At the moment, there are no RTRPs on the market because the IRS recently created the exam and is in the process of determining a passing score.


Enrolled Agents (EA)


EAs can either sit for an IRS exam or have five years work experience for the IRS, according to IRS guidelines. They are also able to represent an individual to the IRS for any tax matter. EAs must complete 72 hours of continuing education every three years.


Certified Public Accountants (CPA)


CPAs have met state guidelines that include having bachelor’s degree with a designated amount of business and accounting courses, passing the state’s CPA exam, and working for an accounting firm for a certain period of time. Each state sets continuing education requirements for CPAs. 




“Attorneys can also help prepare taxes when there are more complicated and sensitive issues with a return,” says Campagna. Issues like distributions from foreign trusts or bank accounts, unreported income or overstated deductions in a current or prior years return, or legal fees, could make hiring a lawyer to file your return a good idea.


Because lawyers tend to have high fees, experts advise hiring one only when there are  significant tax liabilities or refunds. “The average consumer doesn’t need a lawyer to do tax returns,” says Campagna.


Call us today to discuss your immediate or future needs!  Jodie Fish, Manager of the Bookkeeping company can be reached at or feel free to call her at (480) 203-2100. We also offer tax solutions as well as payroll for officers of S-corps.  If interested, please contact our tax department at or 480-857-3048.